Sunday, August 17, 2008

the notebook

This is a post of randomness...consider yourself warned. So I recently read The Notebook, I have become a HUGE fan of Nicholas Sparks (my favorite book is Three weeks With My Brother) and tonight I watched the DVD (I've already seen it about 4 times). I forgot how much I LOVED that movie. I am a romantic! Jeff hates it when I watch these types of movies or read books of the sort because he says my expectation of romance (and him) get UNREALISTIC. But seriously it isn't not just Hollywood right? There are couples that lay in bed ALL day just embracing the presence of each other, talking, and sharing, right? IN OTHER RANDOM NEWS...
I would like to see a movie of the "ever after." Really it's easy to be chased and romanced and fall in LOVE. I remember before Jeff and I got married and going through premarital counseling. We took a bunch of personality tests and then some about each other. Apparently our scores were AWESOME:) As far as knowing each other we ranked in the range that couples do who have been married for 7 years. I admit I got big headed thinking this marriage thing would be a cake walk. I didn't understand what people meant when they said you have to "work at it". I know I was naive. I think it's funny now, because we've almost been married for 7 years and while I still know Jeff and can predict his every action(you know it's true baby), I really didn't know a thing about marriage. I was young. We were only 20. Goodness we weren't even old enough to rent a car on our honeymoon (we paid out the hiney for cabs). I think about it now and laugh. Not to say I have this whole marriage thing figured out but I know enough now to know it's NOT a cake walk, and you DO have to work on it. AND in the movie The Notebook, I like the part where Noah is trying to win Ali back as she is debating between her first love and her intended hubby. Noah says something to the effect of they will argue, have fights, and basically tell each other off and it will not be easy. Anyways I like that part being in the movie, the whole "love is not all romance and cuddling in bed all day." Although I would still like to believe that people do cuddle in bed all day. Onto my next RANDOM thought about the movie.....
It bothered me the 1st time when I watched this movie that she loved another guy besides Noah and was going marry him. I suppose it was the romantic side of me wanting there to be just one love of a lifetime. But once again is that a reality?
I know some people only fall in love once and then marry that person but how many others don't marry their 1st love? The double love in the movie is what I like about it now. It's real and honest and Ali picks the guy that suits her best, makes her happiest, and the one she can be free with...just like I did. RANDOMNESS, this is why Jeff tries to deter me from watching these kind of movies...I am a sap!

3 comments:

Bekki said...

Oh my - I love N.S., too. I LOVED the book but I had a hard time with the movie. Especially since Noah doesn't die and there is a sequel book - The Wedding. But I do love Rachel Mc and Ryan G. Beautiful people.
Anyways - I think I married my TRUE first love. I dated a guy in h.s. for about 3.5 years (the 1/2 year being freshman yr at HU) and I think I loved him as much as a immature high schooler knew how. I had no clue how true love could be until I met Ryan. I went from a guy how I had to call on the phone and who could only say I was "beautimous" lol to a guy who called me and let me know in many ways how much he cared for me and loved me. It was the best. So...I guess the first was puppy/high school love. Ryan was/is my true love. Okay...sappy...lol.
Loved your post!

Minnesota Mommy said...

April - what beautiful yet random sentiment... i do think hollywood affects our ability to look at life in the eyes of reality but thankfully we all know they are just movies... or are they as you say? Before kids, there is more romance and affection... after kids, I think love changes - it matures into more than googly eyes and sweet talking... it is about shaping the lives of our children and taking a new uncharted selfless approach to the future... It is work but so worth it -

Sara said...

That is one of my all time favs, too! (Right up there with Anne of Green Gables and Runaway Bride!) I like the fact that they grow old and live isn't always easy. How often does Hollywood show that side of love?
I had no clue marriage could be so hard, but I'm still the romantic with you hoping the happily ever after can still be googly-eyed.